Friday, November 12, 2010

potty training

yep, we are finally going to embark on that adventure that I have been dreading since I became a parent. Things with tyson have calmed down and Callie is FINALLY showing an interest. However, I really don't know much about effective strategies. So, if you have anything that helped with your kids, let me know. I figure since it's winter we are true hermits so now is the perfect time. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

  1. Emily is super girly, so after failing at a few different methods, I just put her in panties and let her have an accident. It freaked her out so much that she didn't want to do it again. We bought some plain panties for her, but showed her the TinkerBell panties she would get when she stopped having accidents. We would just look at them every time we went to the store and it was a good reminder for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dreaded this too (especially after our previous attempts/disasters) but it really went much better than expected because he was ready. I checked out a few books from the library to get different ideas and suggestions. I decided we just had to go completely cold turkey (no pull-ups, no diapers at naps) because he didn't really care. I prepped him by telling him that when the diapers ran out he would be a big boy, and that's pretty much how it worked. I spent a few focused days at home reminding him every hour to sit on the potty and before too long he was running to get himself there on his own.

    you can do it! just don't get frustrated and keep being excited for any successes you have. If you get stuck, call me because I read like 6 books and I have lots of suggestions but it just depends on what she needs and how she wants to do it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I've heard cold turkey is actually really effective. Obviously that's not what I did (we're still working on it) but Hannah is a lot younger too.

    You can do it! Just remember to be patient and EXPECT accidents.

    ReplyDelete